Monday, July 2, 2012

At Jodie O'Shea Orphanage...

Breakfast starts around 6am. A huge pot of rice is on the table, plus chicken nuggets, cornflakes and milk. It's still school hols so the 30-odd kids from
1-19 (the other 25 have gone home to Sumba) gradually turn up and help themselves to whatever they fancy and then more. Only the 2 littlest need helping. Very healthy appetites! Spilt milk? No fuss, the kid just grabs a cloth and mop and cleans it up. Plates are stacked on the sink for Sumini and Yanti, the cook/housekeepers, to wash. I cook myself some black rice with apple, palm sugar, too much coconut cream and sliced banana. It does me for morning tea as well.
Then it's chore time according to the roster - sweeping and washing floors, raking leaves and tidying their rooms, helping wash the dishes. I find stuff and clean my bathroom, very happy there's only me in the 3 bed room for a week or two.
Next I'm driven to a bike shop. Ian and I went a couple of days ago and I'm soon the proud owner of a shiny new 6 speed for about$130. Must be cheap cos the owner won't even throw in a lock but charges another $5. The 3 girls and I visit a supermarket while the bike is being tweaked and I spend another $10 on coathangers, thongs, plastic containers and 5 magnums-one for the driver too. Very cheap stuff. It would cost me about $80 to hire a bike for a month so made better sense to buy and leave behind.
When we return there's 3 families visiting with bags of clothes and toys. Wow. Some is given out and some put away. Seems any excess is distributed to those more needy so that's good. I go with them on a supermarket run and help navigate the shopping list. The 5 kids that come too are well practiced in choosing fruit, meat and whatever else and the visitors are impresses with their good behavior.
Ok, better go do some work making name tags so I can remember a few more names!
Oh, Ian the specs are here and I'll take to Ubud

No comments:

Post a Comment